This training module on Promoting Nature-based Solutions (NbS) for Climate Resilience in the Water Sector in South Asia is designed for the capacity building of practitioners and policymakers working on the management of water resources or having an influence on the water sector, such as the Ministry of Water Resources, Environment, Agriculture, Land-use, Finance, and Planning.
Capacity building is critical to developing innovative NbS for solving water sector challenges that are technically and financially feasible and sustainable.
Furthermore, at the local and national scales, governments must support research and knowledge sharing, further developing local technical capacity to implement NbS and promoting the use of existing tools to perform ecosystem services valuation at scale.
The results must be integrated within national targets, plans, and policies, and the benefits of NbS approaches should be captured and shared with other countries in the region.
This training module is designed for virtual delivery but can be adapted for on-site training.
The specific objectives of the training include:
- Introducing participants to Ecosystem Services, Nature-based Solutions, their background, definition, and examples at scale, including IUCN Global Standard for NbS;
- Understanding climate projections for South Asia and NbS approaches for building resilience in
specific water-dependent sectors;
- Discuss and identify opportunities and priority areas for mainstreaming NbS in policies;
- Strengthen participant’s understanding of grey-green (or hybrid) infrastructure solutions;
- Discuss case studies and funding opportunities for financing large-scale NbS initiatives.
This training module was developed by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) in collaboration with Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC) as part of the Climate Adaptation and Resilience (CARE) for South Asia supported by the World Bank and was published on 18 October 2023.
This collaboration aims to promote the mainstreaming of NbS to increase the climate resilience of the water sector in South Asia. Please click here for further information on the ADPC-IUCN collaboration.
There is also a training report and appendixes available, which complement this training module.